Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Materials Science & Engineering Just another Graduate School Network site

Financial Support

The vast majority of our students receive some form of financial support while they pursue their PhD. All of our U.S. citizen/permanent resident students receive a full assistantship.

Our faculty members have a high level of research activity. The College of Engineering and Architecture (CEA) alone accounted for nearly 40% of the total number of graduate students of the university during fiscal year 2010. Within the CEA, the Materials Science and Engineering faculty has the highest research expenditure of any group. The College of Arts and Sciences (CAS) faculty are also very well funded, and have access to research as well as teaching assistantships. Nearly all our students are supported by an assistantship.

Follow these steps to find the best way to fund your PhD degree in Materials Science and Engineering at WSU:

  1. Visit our research areas page and find a faculty member whose research aligns with your current research interests. Keep an open mind as you research their interests, since learning about their activities may change your mind about what you wish to pursue.
  2. Contact those faculty members to find out if they have currently funded grant projects that need graduate assistants. This is also a good way to find an advisor.
  3. A few research and teaching assistantships are available directly from the Materials Science and Engineering Program (MSEP) for students with a strong academic record. We strongly encourage you to visit us in early spring, connect with the faculty, and decide that this is where you would want to go to graduate school. If you have a strong academic record, we may offer you an assistantship ipso facto, even though you may not have settled on an advisor.
  4. U.S. citizens are also encouraged to apply for fellowships available from non-WSU sources. Contact faculty members and learn about their research. Once you have identified a potential area of mutual interest, work with the faculty member to identify and apply for an appropriate fellowship. More information regarding assistantships at the Graduate School website can be found here.

For exceptional applicants who are US Citizens or permanent residents, generous financial assistance in the form of GAANN Fellowships (Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need) are available. Women and under-represented minorities (URMs) are especially encouraged to apply for GAANN.