Group web site: (link to https://yoo.chem.wsu.edu/ )
- Ph.D. (Physical Chemistry) 1986, University of California, Los Angeles, California
We are an interdisciplinary research group investigating condensed matter materials behaviors under extreme pressure-temperature conditions. In our research, we utilize modern static and dynamic high-pressure technologies coupled with the state-of-the-art laser spectroscopy at the WSU, as well as the x-ray diffraction and x-ray spectroscopy at national third-generation synchrotron facilities. At the pressure-temperature conditions that can be found in the Earth and planetary interiors, we exploit novel states of matter and new phenomena, not present at ambient conditions, learn how materials establish new Periodic orders with completely redefined chemical and physical properties, and develop new materials with advanced properties. We are interested in a wide range of materials, which include simple molecular solids, covalent and ionic solids, f-and d-transition metals and alloys, as well as functional materials such as reactive nanoparticles, hydrogen storage materials, strongly correlated systems, and high energy density solids.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Phase diagram and transformation of iron pentacarbonyl to nm layered hematite and carbon- oxygen polymer under pressure, YoungJay Ryu, Minseob Kim, and Choong-Shik Yoo, Scientific Reports (2015) DOI:10.1038/srep15139.
- Pressure-induced symmetry lowering transition in dense nitrogen to layered polymeric nitrogen (LP-N) with colossal Raman intensity, D. Tomasino, M. Kim, J. Smith, and C. S. Yoo, Rev. Lett. 113, 205502 (2014).
- Solidification and fcc- to Metastable hcp- Phase Transition in Krypton under Variable Compression Rates, Jing-Yin Chen, Choong-Shik Yoo, William J. Evans, Hanns-Peter Liermann, Hyunchae Cynn, Minseob Kim, and Zsolt Jenei, Rev. B 90, 144104 (2014).
- Hydrogen Bonding Induced Proton Exchange Reactions in Dense D2-NH3 and D2-CH4 Mixtures, Gustav M. Borstad and Choong-Shik Yoo, Chem. Phys. 140, 044510 (2014).
- Polyamorphism and Pressure Induced Metallization at the Rigidity Percolation Threshold in Densified GeSe4 Glass, Bora Kalkan, Ranga P. Dias, Choong-Shik Yoo, Simon M. Clark, and Sabyasachi Sen, Phys. Chem. C 118, 5110 (2013).
- Phase Diagram of Ammonium Nitrate, Mihindra Dunuwille and Choong-Shik Yoo, J. Chem. Phys. 139, 214503 (2013).
- Transformation and Structure of Silicate-like CO2-V, Choong-Shik Yoo, Minseob Kim, Wolfgang Morgenroth, Peter Liermann, Rev. B. 87, 214103 (2013).
- Low-Temperature Superconducting Phase and Magnetic Ordering in Highly Disordered Carbon Disulfide under High Pressure, Ranga Dias, Choong-Shik Yoo, Viktor V. Struzhkin, Minseob Kim, Takaki Muramatsu, Takahiro Matsuoka, Yasuo Ohishi, and Stainislav Sinogeikin, Nat. Acad. Sci. 110, 11720 (2013).
- Solidification and Crystal Growth of Highly Compressed Hydrogen and Deuterium: Time-Resolved Study under Ramp Compression in Dynamic-Diamond Anvil Cell, Dane Tomasino and Choong-Shik Yoo, Phys. Lett. 103, 061905 (2013).
- Physical and Chemical Transformations of Highly Compressed Carbon Dioxide at Bond Energies, Choong-Shik Yoo, Chem. Chem. Phys. 15, 7949 (2013).
- Dynamic Responses of Reactive Metallic Structures under Thermal and Mechanical Ignitions, Haoyan Wei and Choong-Shik Yoo, Mater. Res. 27, 2705 (2012).
- “Stubborn” Triaminotrinitrobenzene (TATB): Unusually high chemical stability of a molecular solid to 150 GPa, Alistair Davidson, Ranga P. Dias, Dana M. Dattelbaum, and Choong-Shik Yoo, Chem. Phys. 135, 174507 (2011); doi: 10.1063/1.3658385
- Time- and angle-resolved x-ray diffraction to probe structural and chemical evolution during Al-Ni intermetallic reactions, Choong-Shik Yoo, Haoyan Wei, Jing-Yin Chen, Guoyin Shen, Paul Chow, and Yuming Xiao, Sci. Instrum. 82, 113901 (2011).
- High Density Amorphous Ice above the Critical Temperature, Jing-Yin Chen and Choong-Shik Yoo, Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., USA 108, 7685 (2011).
- Novel 2D and 3D Extended Solids and Metallization of Compressed XeF2, Minseob Kim, Mathew Debessai, and Choong-Shik Yoo, Nature Chem. 2, 784 (2010)