- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, 2001 – Washington State University
- M.S., Wood Science, 1991 – West Virginia University
- B.S., Forestry, 1988 – West Virginia University
- Associate Research Professor and Extension Specialist E3, Composite Materials & Engineering Center, Washington State University, 2014-present
- Asst. Research Professor and Extension Specialist, Composite Materials & Engineering Center, Washington State University, 2007-2014
- Research Engineer and Technical Director of Composites, Wood Materials and Engineering Lab, Washington State University, 2004-2007
- Post-Doctoral Research Associate, Wood Materials and Engineering Lab, Washington State University, 2001-2003
- Research Assistant III, Wood Science Department, West Virginia University, 1994-1995
- Technical Director, Colbert, GA Parallam ® Facility, Weyerhaeuser (formerly Trus Joist MacMillan)
- Polymer and natural fiber composite processing
- Evaluation of structural and physical performance of composite materials
- Recycle/reuse of waste materials for value-added products
Outreach and Extension
- Applied Industrial Research and Development
- Natural Fibers
- Dumerose, R.K., J. Heiskanen, K.R. Englund, and A. Tervahauta. 2011. Pelleted biochar: chemical and physical properties show potential use as a substrate in container nurseries. Biomass and Bioenergy 35:2018-2027.
- Englund, K.R. and V. Villechevrolle. 2010. Flexure and water sorption properties of wood thermoplastic composites (WPCs) made with polymer blends. J. of Applied Polymer Science. 120(2):1034-1039.
- Chang, F.C, F. Lam, and K.R. Englund. 2010. Feasibility of using mountain pine beetle attacked wood to produce wood-plastic composites. Wood and Fiber Science 42(3):388-397.
- Migneault S., A.Koubaa, F.Erchiqui, A.Chaala, K.R.Englund, C.Krause, M.P.Wolcott 2010. Application of micromechanical models to tensile properties of wood–plastic composites. Wood Sci. and Tech. Online – June.
- Migneault S., A.Koubaa, F.Erchiqui, A.Chaala, K.R.Englund, C.Krause, M.P.Wolcott 2009. Effect of Processing Method and Fiber Size on the Microstructure and Properties of Wood-Plastic Composites. Composites Part A-Applied Science and Manufacturing. 40(1):80-85.
- Coats E.R., F.J.Loge, M.P.Wolcott, K.R.Englund, A.G.McDonald. 2008. Production of natural fiber reinforced thermoplastic composites through the use of polyhydroxybutyrate-rich biomass. Bioresource Technology 99(7):2680-2686.
- Migneault S., A.Koubaa, F.Erchiqui, A.Chaala, K.R.Englund, C.Krause, M.P.Wolcott 2008. Effect of Fiber Length on Processing and Properties of Extruded Wood-Fiber/ HDPE Composites. J. Applied Polymer Science. 110(2):1085-1092.
- Englund, K.R. 2008. Hybrid Poplar as a Feedstock for Wood Plastic Composites. Forest Products Journal 58(5):61-65
Coats, E.R., F.J. Loge, M.P. Wolcott, K.R. Englund, and A.G. McDonald. 2007. Synthesis of Polyhydroxyalkanoates in Municipal
- Wastewater Treatment. Water Environment Research. 79(12):2396-2403.
- Long, J., M.P. Wolcott, J. Zhang, and K.R Englund. 2007. Flexural Properties of Surface Reinforced Wood/Plastic Deck Board. Polymer Engineering and Science. 47:281-288.