Joined MME in 2013
- Ph.D. in Material Science and Engineering from the University of Arizona, 2008
Scientific Interests and Work
- Nuclear waste forms
- Radiation effects on materials
- Magnetic materials and properties
- Optical ceramics and glasses
- Electronic transport
National & International Recognition
- Delegate to National Academy of Engineering, Frontiers of Engineering, 2013
- Nuclear waste forms:
- C. Z. Soderquist, M. J. Schweiger, D-S Kim, W. W. Lukens, J. S. McCloy, “Redox-dependent solubility of technetium in low activity waste glass” Journal of Nuclear Materials, in press.
- P. L. Gassman, J. S. McCloy, C. Z. Soderquist, and M. J. Schweiger. “Raman analysis of perrhenate and pertechnetate in alkali salts and borosilicate glasses,” Journal of Raman Spectroscopy,
- J. Crum, V. Maio, J. McCloy, C. Scott, B. Riley, B. Benefiel, J. Vienna, K. Archibald, C. Rodriguez, V. Rutledge, Z. Zhu, J. Ryan, and M. Olszta, “Cold Crucible Induction Melter Studies for Making Glass Ceramic Waste Forms: A Feasibility Assessment,” Journal of Nuclear Materials, 444 (1-3), 481-492 (2014).
- Radiation effects on materials:
- Shpotyuk, M., O. Shpotyuk, R. Golovchak, J. McCloy, and B. Riley, “Compositional trends of y-induced optical changes observed in chalcogenide glasses of binary A—S system,” Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 386, 95-99 (2014).
- John S. McCloy , Weilin Jiang, Timothy C. Droubay, Tamas Varga, Libor Kovarik, Jennifer A. Sundararajan, Maninder Kaur, You Qiang, Edward C. Burks, Kai Liu “Ion irradiation of Fe-Fe oxide core-shell nanocluster films: Effect of interface on stability of magnetic properties,” Journal of Applied Physics, 114(8), 083903 (2013).
- Magnetic materials and properties:
- CH Henager, Jr, JS McCloy, P Ramuhalli, D Edwards, S Hu, Y Li, JW Griffin, “Investigation of Magnetic Signatures and Microstructures for Heat-Treated Ferritic/Martensitic HT-9 Alloy,” Acta Materialia 61(9):3285-3296 (2013).
- Y. Mao, J. Parsons, J. S. McCloy. “Magnetic properties of double perovskite La2BMnO6 (B=Ni or Co) nanoparticles.” Nanoscale, 5(11): 4720-4728 (2013).
- Optical ceramics and glasses:
- John S. McCloy and Barrett G. Potter, “Photoluminescence in Chemical Vapor Deposited ZnS: insight into electronic defects,” Optical Materials Express, 3(9), 1273-1278 (2013).
- J. McCloy, R. Tustison. Chemical Vapor Deposited Zinc Sulfide. Bellingham, WA: SPIE Press (April 2013), ISBN 9780819495891,
- Electronic transport:
- Rettie AJ, HC Lee, LG Marshall, JF Lin, C Capen, J Lindemuth, JS McCloy, J Zhou, AJ Bard, and CB Mullins. “Combined Charge Carrier Transport and Photoelectrochemical Characterization of BiVO4 Single Crystals: Intrinsic Behavior of a Complex Metal Oxide,” Journal of the American Chemical Society, 135, 11389-11396 (2013).
- M. Jones, J. Kelly, R. Severtson, J. McCloy. “Regenerative Feedback Resonant Circuit to Detect Transient Changes in Electromagnetic Properties of Semi-Insulating Materials,” Review of Scientific Instruments, 84, 084703 (2013).