Joined MME in 1998
Ph.D. in Physical-Organic Chemistry from Rutgers University in 1998
- Materials Research Group
- Nanoscale surface modification of medical devices, and nanoparticles in protein/drug delivery
- Resorbable ceramics and composited in bone tissue engineering using 3-D printing technology
- Microwave and plasma processing of materials
- In vitro bone cell material interactions
- Piezoelectric micromachined ultrasonic transducers (pMUTs) for medical imaging and therapeutics and Ceramic gas sensor
National & International Recognition
- 2014 Richard M. Fulrath award, American Ceramic Society
- 2013 Fellow, American Ceramic Society
- 2013 Fellow, American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE)
- 2009 American Ceramic Society – Schwartzwalder-Professional Achievement in Ceramic Engineering (PACE) Award
- 2006 “Kavli Fellow” – National Academy of Sciences
- 2002 NSF CAREER and the Presidential Early Career award for Scientist and Engineers (PECASE) award (2002 / 2004)
Affiliations and Awards
- 2012 Outstanding researcher award, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
- S. Tarafder, N. M. Davies, A. Bandyopadhyay, and S. Bose, “3D Printed Tricalcium Phosphate Scaffolds: Effect of SrO and MgO Doping on in vivo osteogenesis in rat distal femoral defect model” Biomaterials Science, 1, 1250-1259 (2013)
- S. Tarafder, V. K. Balla, NM Davies, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Microwave Sintered 3D Printed Tricalcium Phosphate Scaffolds for Bone Tissue Engineering”, Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Wiley Online Library, DOI: 10.1002/term.555 ; Vol 7, issue 8, pp. 631-641, (2013)
- S. Bose, G, Fielding, S. Tarafder and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Understanding of dopant – induced osteogenesis and angiogenesis in calcium phosphate ceramics” Trends in Biotechnology, 2013 October; 31(10): 594–605.
- G, Fielding and S. Bose, “SiO2 and ZnO Dopants in 3D Printed TCP Scaffolds Enhances Osteogenesis and Angiogenesis in vivo”, Acta Biomaterialia, November; 9(11): 9137–9148, (2013)
- S Bose, S. Vahabzadeh, and A. Bandyopadhyay, A, (2013) “3-D printing of bone tissue engineering scaffolds”, Materials Today, 16 (12), 496-504 (2013)
- S. Bose and S. Tarafder, “Calcium Phosphate Ceramic Systems in Growth Factor and Drug Delivery for Bone Tissue Engineering – A Review”, Acta Biomaterialia, 8, 1401–1421 (2012)
- S. Bose, M. Roy and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Recent advances in bone tissue engineering scaffolds,” Trends in Biotechnology, Vol 30, no. 10, pp. 546-554 (2012)
- Book – “Biomaterials Science – Processing, Properties and Applications III” Ceramic Transactions Volume 242, Edited by SusmitaBose, Amit Bandyopadhyay and Roger Narayan, John Wiley (2013).
- Book – “Characterization of Biomaterials” Edited by Amit Bandyopadhyay and Susmita Bose, Elsevier (2013).
- Book – “Biomaterials Science – Processing, Properties and Applications II” Ceramic Transactions Volume 237, Edited by Roger Narayan, Susmita Bose and Amit Bandyopadhyay, John Wiley (2012).
- Book – “Biomaterials Science – Processing, Properties and Applications” Ceramic Transactions Volume 228, Edited by Roger Narayan, Amit Bandyopadhyay and Susmita Bose, John Wiley (2011).
- M. Roy, G. A. Fielding, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Effects of Zinc and Strontium Substitution in Tricalcium Phosphate on Osteoclast Differentiation and Resorption,” Biomaterials Science, 1, pp. 74-82 (2013).
- G., Fielding, W. Smoot and S. Bose “Effects of SiO2, SrO, MgO and ZnO dopants in TCP on osteoblastic Runx2 expression” JBMRA August, 2013, DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.34909.
- S. Vahabzadeh, J. Edgington and S. Bose, “Tricalcium phosphate and tricalcium phosphate/polycaprolactone particulate composite for controlled release of protein” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 33 (7), 3576-3582, (2013).
- S. Tarafder, K. Nansen, and S. Bose, “Lovastatin release from polycaprolactone coated ?-tricalcium phosphate: Effects of pH, concentration and drug – polymer interactions”, Materials Science and Engineering: C, Aug 1; 33(6):3121-8 (2013).
- V. K. Balla, J. Soderlind, S. Bose and A. Bandyopadhyay “Microstructure, Mechanical and Wear Properties of Laser Surface Melted Ti6Al4V Alloy,” in press, Journal of Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, December (2013).
- S. Dasgupta, S. Tarafder, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Effect of Grain Size on Mechanical, Surface and Biological Properties of Microwave Sintered Hydroxyapatite”, Materials Science and Engineering: C, Jul 1;33(5):2846-54 (2013).
- J. Dhal, S Bose, and A. Bandyopadhyay,, “Influence of pentavalent dopant addition to polarization and bioactivity of hydroxyapatite,” Materials Science and Engineering: C, 33, Issue 5, pp. 3061–3068 (2013).
- K. P. DeVoe, S. Banerjee, M. Roy, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Resorbable Tricalcium Phosphates for Bone Tissue Engineering: Influence of SrO Doping”- Journal of the American Ceramic Society, 95, Issue 10, pp. 3095–3102 (2012).
- G. Fielding, M. Roy, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bose, “Antibacterial and biological characteristics of plasma sprayed silver and strontium doped hydroxyapatite coatings”, Acta Biomaterialia, 8  3144-3152 (2012).
- M. Roy, K. P. DeVoe, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Mechanical and in Vitro Biocompatibility of Brushite Cement Modified by Polyethylene Glycol” Materials Science and Engineering: C 32, Issue 8, Pp. 2145–2152 (2012).
- M. Roy and S. Bose, “Osteoclastogenesis and Osteoclastic Resorption of Tricalcium Phosphate: Effect of Strontium and Magnesium Doping”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part A, Sep;100 (9):2450-61 (2012).
- A. Bandyopadhyay, J. Petersen; G. A. Fielding, S. Banerjee; S. Bose, “ZnO, SiO2 and SrO doping in resorbable tricalcium phosphates: Influence on strength degradation, mechanical properties and in vitro bone cell material interactions” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part B -Applied Biomaterials, 100 (8), pp. 2203-12 (2012).
- J. Dhal, G. A. Fielding, S. Bose and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Understanding bioactivity and polarizability of hydroxyapatite doped with tungsten,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part B -Applied Biomaterials, 100B (7), pp. 1836-45 2012.
- G. A. Fielding, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Effects of silica and zinc oxide doping on mechanical and biological properties of 3D printed tricalcium phosphate tissue engineering scaffolds” Dental Materials, 2 8, 113–122 (2012).
- M. Roy, G. A. Fielding, H. Beyenal, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Mechanical, In Vitro Antimicrobial and Biological Properties of Plasma Sprayed Silver-Doped Hydroxyapatite Coating”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 4; 1341–1349 (2012).
- V. K. Balla, L. B. Roberson, G. W. O’Connor, S. Trigwell, S. Bose and A. Bandyopadhyay, First Demonstration on Direct Laser Fabrication of Lunar Regolith Parts, accepted for publication to Rapid Prototyping Journal, 18 Iss: 6, pp. 451 – 457 (2012).
- P. D. DeVasConCellos, S. Bose, H. Beyenal, L. G. Zirkle and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Antimicrobial Particulate Silver Coatings on Stainless Steel Implants for Fracture Management,” Materials Science & Engineering C, 32 (5), pp. 1112-1120 (2012)
- M. Roy, V. K. Balla, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “MgO Doped Tantalum Coating on Ti: Microstructural Study and Biocompatibility Evaluation”, ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 4; 577-580, (2012)
- P. D. DeVasConCellos, V. K Balla, S. Bose, R. Fugazzi, W. S. Dernell and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Patient Specific Implants for Amputation Prostheses: Design, Manufacture and Analysis,” accepted for publication to Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology (VCOT), 25, pp. 286-296 (2012).
- S. Bernard, V. K. Balla, S. Bose, A. Bandyopadhyay, “Compression Fatigue Behavior of Laser Processed Porous NiTi Alloy,” Journal of Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 13, pp. 62-68 (2012)
- V. K. Balla, A. Bhat, S. Bose and A. Bandyopadhyay, “Laser Processed TiN Reinforced Ti6Al4V Composite Coatings,” Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 6, pp. 9-20 (2012)
- M. Roy, A. Bandyopadhyay and S. Bose, “Induction Plasma Sprayed Sr and Mg Doped Nano Hydroxyapatite Coatings on Ti for Bone Implant”, Journal of Biomedical Materials Research: Part B – Applied Biomaterials, Vol 99B, Issue 2, pp 258-265 (Nov 2011).
- S. Bose, S. Tarafder, S. S. Banerjee, N. M. Davies and A. Bandyopadhyay “Understanding in vivo response and mechanical property variation in MgO, SrO and SiO2 doped ?-TCP.”- Bone 48; 1282-1290: (2011)
- S Bose, S Dasgupta, MS Tarafder, A Bandyopadhyay, “Microwave Processed Nanocrystalline Hydroxyapatite: Simultaneous Enhancement of Mechanical and Biological Properties”, Acta Biomaterialia, 6, Issue 9, 3782-3790 (2010)
- Z. M. Seeley, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bose, “Titanium Dioxide Thin Films for High Temperature Gas Sensors”, Thin Solid Films, 519 (1), pp. 434-438 (2010).
- Ho C. Shum, A. Bandyopadhyay, S. Bose, and David A. Weitz “Double Emulsion Droplets as Microreactors for Synthesis of Mesoporous Hydroxyapatite”, Chemistry of Materials, 21, 5548 – 5555, (2009)