- Ph.D. in Materials Science from Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics in 1994
- Battery materials and renewable energy materials
- Nanocomposites and multifunctional materials
- Composite manufacturing technology
- Electronic materials
- Excellence as an Academic Advisor, WSU, 2013
- Outstanding Researcher Award, School of Mechanical and Materials Engineering, WSU, 2013
- Westinghouse Distinguished Professor, WSU, 2012
- B. Geng, Y. Wang, B. Li and W.H. Zhong, Segregated Polymeric Nanocomposites wtih Tunable Three-dimensional Network of Nanoparticles by Controlling the Dispersion and Distribution, RSC Advances, in press, September 2014.
- Y. Wang, W. H. Zhong, T. Schiff, A. Eyler and B. Li, A Particle-controlled High Performance Gum-like Electrolyte for Safe and Flexible Energy Storage Devices, Advanced Energy Materials, 1400463, DOI: 10.1002/aenm.201400463, 2014.
- Y. Wang, W.H. Zhong, J. Y. Ji and A. Eyler, Blossoming of Nanosheet Structures via a Disturbed Self-assembly, Nano Letters, 14, 3474?3480, 2014.
- Y. Wang and W. H. Zhong, A Review: Development of Electrolytes toward Achieving Safe and High-performance Energy Storage Devices, DOI: 10.1002/celc.201402277, ChemElectroChem, 2014.
- S. Xu, A. Akchurin, T. Liu, W. Wood, X.W. Tangpong, I. Akhatov, and W.H. Zhong, Mechanical Properties, Tribological Behavior, and Biocompatibility of HDPE/CNF Nanocomposites, Journal of Composite Materials, DOI: 10.1177/0021998314535959, 2014.
- S. Xu, A. Akchurin, T. Liu, W. Wood, X.W. Tangpong, I. Akhatov, and W. H. Zhong, “Thermal Properties of Carbon Nanofiber Reinforced High-Density Polyethylene Nanocomposites,” Journal of Composite Materials, DOI: 10.1177/0021998314525980, 2014.
- T. Liu, Y. Wang, A. Eyler and W.H. Zhong, Synergistic Effects of Hybrid Graphitic Nanofillers on Simultaneously Enhanced Wear and Mechanical Properties of Polymer Nanocomposites, European Polymer Journal, 55: 210-221, 2014
- B. Lively, J. Bizga, B Li, M. G. Smith, W.H. Zhong, Quantified Non-destructive Dispersion Assessment via Macrodispersion and AC/DC Ratio Analyses for Hybrid Polycarbonate/graphite Nanoplatelet/Carbon Nanotube Composites, Composites B, 56:567-574, 2014.
- Y. Wang, B. Li, J.Y. Ji, W.H. Zhong, Controlled Li+ Conduction Pathway to Achieve Enhanced Ionic Conductivity in Polymer Electrolytes, Journal of Power Sources, DOI: 10.1016/j.jpowsour.2013. 08.137, 247:452–459, 2014.
- T. Liu; B. Li; B. Lively; A. Eyler; W.H. Zhong, Enhanced Wear Resistance of High-Density Polyethylene Composites Reinforced by Organosilane-Graphitic Nanoplatelets, Wear, 309:43-51, 2014.
- B. Lively, J. Bizga and W. H. Zhong, Analysis Tools for Fibrous Nanofiller Polymer Composites: Macro and Nano-Scale Dispersion Assessments Correlated with Mechanical and Electrical Properties, Polymer Composites, 35:10–18, 2014.
- US Patent US2014012727: Y. Wang, W. H. Zhong, and B. Li, “Gum-like Electrolytes with Thermal-protection Capability”, May 24, 2014.
- US Patent US 8,722,254 B2: W.H. Zhong, J. Y. Ji and B. Li, “Flexible Solid-State Conductors Including Polymer Mixed with Protein”, May 13, 2014.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Quantitative characterization of nanocomposite dispersion, facile and efficient for industry
- Table of Contents of the New Book: at DEStech Publications, Inc. W. H. Zhong, B. Li, R. G. Maguire, V.T. Dang, G. Gross, J. Shatkin, M.C. Richey, Nanoscience and Nanomaterials: Synthesis, Manufacturing and Industry Impacts, July 2011, DEStech Publications, Inc.
- The Economist story on Katie Zhong research: lithium ion bio-batteries