Joined MME in 2013; Laboratory Fellow; Joint Appointment with Pacific Northwest National Laboratory; Ph.D. in Environmental Chemistry from University of Idaho, Moscow, ID in 1997
- Synthesis and characterization of functional nanomaterials
- Materials and devices for sensing, bioimaging, and drug delivery
- Materials and systems for water monitoring and treatment
- Nanomaterials for fuel cells, batteries, and supercapacitors
- Electrochemistry, electrocatalysis and photoelectrocatalysis
- Immunosensors, paper and microfluidic biosensors for biomarker detection
National and International Recognition
- Highly Cited Researchers 2014 (Thomson Reuters)
- Fellow, American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering, 2013
- Fellow, Royal Society of Chemistry, 2012
- Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science, 2009
- Fellow, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 2008
Affiliations and Awards
- Battelle Key Contributor Award, 3 times (2003, 2007, 2009)
- Five PNNL Outstanding Performance Awards.
- Four PNNL Reward and Recognition awards.
- Lin Y, and HS Nalwa. 2009. Handbook of Electrochemical Nanotechnology, vol. I-II, American Scientific Publishers, Stevenson Ranch, CA.
- Wang Y, Z Li, D Hu, CT Lin, J Li, and Y Lin. 2010. “Aptamer/Graphene Oxide Nanocomplex for In Situ Molecular Probing in Living Cells.” Journal of the American Chemical Society 132(27):9274-9276.
- Zhang S, Y Shao, H Liao, MH Engelhard, G Yin, and Y Lin. 2011. “Polyelectrolyte-Induced Reduction of Exfoliated Graphite Oxide: A Facile Route to Synthesis of Soluble Graphene Nanosheets.” ACS Nano 5(3):1785-1791.
- Lu D, J Wang, L Wang, D Du, C Timchalk, RC Barry, and Y Lin. 2011. “A novel nanoparticle-based disposable electrochemical immunosensor for diagnosis of exposure to toxic organophosphorus agents.” Advanced Functional Materials 21(22):4371-4378. doi:10.1002/adfm.201100616
- Wang Y, Y Shao, DW Matson, J Li, and Y Lin. 2010. “Nitrogen-Doped Graphene and its Application in Electrochemical Biosensing.” ACS Nano 4(4):1790-1798.
- Kou R, Y Shao, D Mei, Z Nie, D Wang, CM Wang, VV Viswanathan, SK Park, IA Aksay, Y Lin, Y Wang, and J Liu. 2011. “Stabilization of Electrocatalytic Metal Nanoparticles at Metal-Metal Oxide-Graphene Triple Junction Points.” Journal of the American Chemical Society 133(8):2541-2547.
- Zhang S, Y Shao, G Yin, and Y Lin. 2010. “Electrostatic Self-Assembly of Pt-around-Au Nanocomposite with High Activity towards Formic Acid Oxidation.” Angewandte Chemie International Edition 49(12):2211-2214.
- Liu G, and Y Lin. 2007. “Electrochemical Quantification of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms Using Nanoparticle Probes.” Journal of the American Chemical Society 129(34):10394-10401.
- Liu G, J Wang, DS Wunschel, and Y Lin. 2006. “Electrochemical Proteolytic Beacon for Detection of Matrix Metalloproteinase Activities.” Journal of the American Chemical Society 128(38):12382-12383.
- Wang J, M Musameh, and Y Lin. 2003. “Solubilization of Carbon Nanotubes by Nafion Toward the Preparation of Amperometric Biosensors.” Journal of the American Chemical Society 125(9):2408-2409.
- Ye X, Y Lin, CM Wang, and CM Wai. 2003. “Supercritical Fluid Fabrication of Metal Nanowires and Nanorods Templated by Multi-walled Carbon Nanotubes,” Advanced Materials 15(4):316-319.
- Liang L, J Liu, CF Windisch, Jr, GJ Exarhos, and Y Lin. 2002. “Direct Assembly of Large Arrays of Oriented Conducting Polymer Nanowires.” Angewandte Chemie International Edition 41(19):3665-3668.
- Yi T, Y Lin, and Z Ren. 2003. “Nanoelectrode Arrays Based on Low Site Density Aligned Carbon Nanotubes.” Nano Letters 3(1):107-109.
- Lin Y, F Lu, Y Tu, and Z Ren. 2004. “Glucose Biosensors Based on Carbon Nanotube Nanoelectrode Ensembles.” Nano Letters 4(2):191-195.
- Zhang S, Y Shao, G. Ying, Y. Lin. 2013 “ Recent Progress in Nanostructured Electrocatalysts for PEM Fuel Cells.” J. Materials Chemistry A, 1, 4631-4641.
- Du D, Y Yang, and Y Lin. 2012. “Graphene-based Materials for Biosensing and Bioimaging.” MRS Bulletin 37(12):1290-1296.
- Tang Z, H Wu, JR Cort, GW Buchko, Y Zhang, Y Shao, IA Aksay, J Liu, and Y Lin. 2010. “Constraint of DNA on Functionalized Graphene Improves Its Biostability and Specificity.” Small 6(11):1205-1209.
- Du D, J Wang, D Lu, A Dohnalkova, and Y Lin. 2011. “Multiplexed Electrochemical Immunoassay of Phosphorylated Proteins Based on Enzyme-Functionalized Gold Nanorod Labels and Electric Field-Driven Acceleration.” Analytical Chemistry 83(17):6580-6585.
- Du D, L Wang, Y Shao, J Wang, MH Engelhard, and Y Lin. 2011. “Functionalized Graphene Oxide as a Nanocarrier in a Multienzyme Labeling Amplification Strategy for Ultrasensitive Electrochemical Immunoassay of Phosphorylated p53 (S392).” Analytical Chemistry 83(3):746-752.
- Fu Z, G Shao, J Wang, D Lu, W Wang, and Y Lin. 2011. “Microfabricated Renewable Beads-Trapping/Releasing Flow Cell for Rapid Antigen-Antibody Reaction in Chemiluminescent Immunoassay.” Analytical Chemistry 83(7):2685-2690.
- Lu D, G Shao, D Du, J Wang, L Wang, W Wang, and Y Lin. 2011. “Enzyme entrapped nanoporous scaffolds formed through flow induced gelation in microfluidic filter device for sensitive biosensing of organophosphorus compounds.” Lab on a Chip 11(3):381-384.
- Ma Ham A, HJ Wu, J Wang, X Kang, Y Zhang, and Y Lin. 2011. “Apoferritin-based nanomedicine platform for drug delivery: equilibrium binding study of daunomycin with DNA.” Journal of Materials Chemistry 21(24):8700-8708.
- Tang Z, HJ Wu, Y Zhang, Z Li, and Y Lin. 2011. “The Enzyme-mimic Activity of Ferric Nano-Core Residing in Ferritin and Its Biosensing Applications.” Analytical Chemistry 83(22):8611-8616.
- Wang Y, Z Li, J Wang, J Li, and Y Lin. 2011. “Graphene and Graphene Oxide: Biofunctionalization and Applications in Biotechnology.” Trends in Biotechnology 29(5):205-212.
- Du D, Z Zou, Y Shin, J Wang, H Wu, MH Engelhard, J Liu, IA Aksay, and Y Lin. 2010. “Sensitive Immunosensor for Cancer Biomarker Based on Dual Signal Amplification Strategy of Graphene Sheets and Multi-Enzyme Functionalized Carbon Nanospheres.” Analytical
- Chemistry 82(7):2989-2995.
Li Z, Y Wang, J Wang, Z Tang, JG Pounds, and Y Lin. 2010. “Rapid and Sensitive Detection of Protein Biomarker Using a Portable Fluorescence Biosensor based on Quantum Dots and a Lateral Flow Test Strip.” Analytical Chemistry 82(16):7008-7014.
- Zhang Y, Z Tang, J Wang, H Wu, A Ma Ham, and Y Lin. 2010. “Hairpin DNA Switch for Ultrasensitive Spectrophotometric Detection of DNA Hybridization Based on Gold Nanoparticles and Enzyme Signal Amplification.” Analytical Chemistry 82(15):6440-6446. doi:10.1021/ac1006238
- Ma Ham A, Z Tang, H Wu, J Wang, and Y Lin. 2009. “Protein-Based Nanomedicine Platforms for Drug Delivery.” Small 5(15):1706-1721. doi:10.1002/smll.200801602
- Wang J, G Liu, H Wu, and Y Lin. 2008. “Quantum-Dot-Based Electrochemical Immunoassay for High-Throughput Screening of the Prostate-Specific Antigen.” Small 4(1):82-86. doi:10.1002/smll.200700459
- Zhang S, Y Shao, H Liao, J Liu, IA Aksay, G Yin, and Y Lin. 2011. “Graphene decorated with PtAu alloy nanoparticles: facile synthesis and promising application for formic acid oxidation.” Chemistry of Materials 23:1079-1081.
- Shao Y, X Wang, MH Engelhard, CM Wang, S Dai, J Liu, Z Yang, and Y Lin. 2010. “Nitrogen-doped mesoporous carbon for energy storage in vanadium redox flow batteries.” Journal of Power Sources 195(13):4375-4379.
- Shao Y, J Liu, Y Wang, and Y Lin. 2008. “Novel Catalyst Support Materials for PEM Fuel Cells: Current Status and Future Prospects.” Journal of Materials Chemistry 19(1):46-59.
- WSU News Article
- PNNL web site
- Publications and Citations
- Publications in fuel cells and batteries
- Publications in Electrochemistry, electrocatalysis and photoelectrocatalysis
- Publications in Synthesis of Functional Nanomaterials
- Publications in Materials and Systems for Environmental Remediation and Monitoring
- Publications in Nanomaterials and Microdevices for Biosensing and Bioanalytical Chemistry
- Publications in Nanomaterials for Bioimaging and Drug Delivery